An 8-Step Transformational Process
for R&D Redesign
- Determine Corporate Vulnerabilities and Driving Forces for Change
- Financial-product liability, lost product, Consumer confidence (lost sales)
- Reputation and Public Confidence
- Legal and Social
- Agency Relationships
- Establish an Executive Commitment
- Priority and Sustainability
- Create a vision and strategic alignment of systems, staffing, values and behaviors that form the basis of operating principles
- Infiltrate with new leadership
- Prioritize key initiatives and assign staffing
- Align measurements, accountabilities, rewards, and consequences
- Communicate, Educate, Participate, Celebrate
- Repeat step 5 and 7
If you are about to enter the world of strategy and structure, the following questions may assist with the organizational design.
· How and under what conditions should a firm bring new technologies in house?
What are the prerequisites for a successful integration?
· When should a firm primarily focus on life cycle management or new product development and under what conditions?
· What are examples of equivalent product platform in biopharm or how should the industry consider positioning platforms ?
· Is biopharm different than other industries when applying lessons learned to generate product families?
· Are there different types of organizational structures whichimprove productivity in biopharm R&D?
· Have present novel organizational structures improved R&D productivity?
· Should biopharm create a Sematech-style pre-competitive consortium to address R&D issues such as Personalized Medicine, pathophysiology, Modeling, DMPK/Toxicology or IT issues?
· What would create a dramatic paradigm shift in new product development e.g diagnostics and population segmentation?
· Where in biopharm and device R&D could one apply ‘lean’ principles?
· What lessons on the management of common resources in other contexts are relevant to biopharm R&D?
· How could one change the IP approach to improve productivity in R&D or is a vulnerability ?
· What are the areas in biopharm R&D where ‘contact’ (frequency and geography) is critical for innovation and productivity?
· How does decision making influence biopharm R&D and where is coordination crucial for innovation and productivity?
· How would you measure productivity and innovation strategically? How would this contrast with the investment community?
· Can Systems Biology change the way we do R&D? What impact will this have on organizational structures?
· How can we use web based tools to transform the way we do R&D?